Thursday, February 21, 2008

Oscar Prediction Part Three: Actors, Animation and screenplays

In order to get my predictions done in time I will dedicate this journal to Best Animated Picture, all the actor awards and the extremely important screen writing categories. Before beginning I would like to say in regards to Best Animated Short, Best Short Documentary, Best Documentary, Best Short Narrative and Best Foreign Language Film, that I have seen only one movie from the whole bunch. No End In Sight, from the Documentary category is a fine example of how documentaries should be made. And If you want to know more about the Best Foreign Language Film please see my earlier entry about this.

Best Animated Feature:
Surf's Up
Ratatouille
Presopolis

Who Should Win: Thank God the academy choose Surf's Up over the The Simpson's Movie. The Simpson's Movie was fun but Surf's Up was a really excellent film, that was extremely under rated. That being said Ratatouille is not only the best animated picture of the year but generally one of the best pictures of the year.

Who Will Win: I suppose its possible that Presopolis could win , as it appears to me more serious. But in all honesty Ratatouille will probably win.

Best Supporting Actress:
Cate Blanchett in I'm Not There
Ruby Dee in American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan in Atonement
Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton in Michael Clayton

Who Should Win: I say this without any consideration for anyone else. Blanchett is perfect. No one comes close to beating her. Though to be honest I haven't seen Micheal Clayton.

Who Will Win: Ruby Dee has won lots of love for a part that to me seemed non-memorable and certainly not Oscar worthy. However, I still think Blanchett will win here. I certainly hope so.

Best Supporting Actor
Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men
Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Tom Wilkinson in Micheal Clayton
Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie Wilson's War

Who Should Win: This one is hard as I haven't gotten to see what I hear is are amazing performances on the parts of Wilkinson and Affleck. That being said it is very hard to make the decision between Javier Bardem and Hal Holbrook. Javier scares the bejesus out of me and Hal took my heart and crushed it. But, in all honesty, I want Into The Wild to win as much as possible. So I must pick Hal.

Who Will Win: Javier Bardem will win. He has won almost every single award he could win.

Best Actress:
Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Ellen Page in Juno
Marion Collitiard in La Vie en Rose
Laura Linney in The Savages
Julie Chirsty in Away From Her

Who Should Win: Anybody but Julie Chirsty. What an overrated ham fisted film it is. I think Marion Collitiard should win. She was charming and powerful as Edith Pilaf. She took a so-so biopic and made it half way decent.

Who Will Win: Everyone says Julie Chirsty will win and Collitiard is the dark horse. I am going to make a totally illogical guess. One based on nothing except that there is always a surprise at the Oscars. So I pick Ellen Page. She is Canadian you know?

Best Actor:
Johnny Deep in Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber...
Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood
George Clooney in Micheal Clayton
Tommy Lee Jones in In The Valley of Elah
Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises

Who Should Win: Do we really need to ask? Daniel Day-Lewis without a doubt. On top of his marvelous preformance he gives killer speeches.

Who Will Win: Congrats to Daniel Day-Lewis on his second Oscar.

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Atonement
Away From Her
No Country For Old Men
There Will be Blood
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Who Should Win: This is hard. I love Paul T. Anderson as both a director and a writer. I am very compelled to choose his There Will be Blood. However at the same time I think No Country For Old Men might technically be a better work. However once again I will choose with the heart and say There Will be Blood.

Who Will Win: There is no film here that does not stand some chance of winning. Right now though I think I have no way of guessing except to pick the one with the most picks so far. That being No Country For Old Men. I just hope, really really hard that Atonement does not win this award. Why? Because of what is says about writing in general. I will save that tangent for another time.

Best Original Screenplay:
Juno
Lars and the Real Girl
Micheal Clayton
Ratatouille
The Savages

Who Should Win: Who seriously would think of cooking rats? For mere thought alone I have no choice but to say Ratatouille.

Who Will Win: I hope Diablo Cody is ready to accept her first Oscar. I'm really pretty sure about this one.

Coming Up Next: Directors, Loose Ends and at last the Best Picture of the Year. Excited? I am!

No comments: