Friday, February 22, 2008

Oscar Predicitions: Final Predictions

At last the time has come for final predictions on the last three categories. Let's begin.

Best Cinematography
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: Roger Deakins
Atonement Seamus McGarvey
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly : Janusz Kaminski
No Country for Old Men: Roger Deakins
There Will Be Blood : Robert Elswit

Who Should Win: Well here we have a category that no two people are calling the same way. I have no choice here but to choose Robert Elswit's stunning visual as my choice. All though truth be said Janusz Kaminski and Roger Deakins in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford are the honest front runners in this category and they are the two I have not seen.

Who Will Win: The Diving and Bell and The Butterfly was not popular in France. Critics here adored it, but its won almost nothing. Yet the academy choose to nominate it in three different places. I don't think it can win in the two other places its nominated, director and screenplay, but I do feel that it could win here. It is, from what I have seen of it, truly fantastic in a visual sense. Also a part of me would say No Country For Old Men, buuuutt since Roger Deakins is nominated twice, there might be too much of a vote split situation. So I say Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

Best Director
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly Julian Schnabel
Juno Jason Reitman
Michael Clayton Tony Gilroy
No Country for Old Men Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
There Will Be Blood Paul Thomas Anderson

Who Should Win: Paul Thomas Anderson is a film god to me. His previous works in Boogie Nights and Magnolia proves that he is brilliant and There Will Be Blood is his masterpiece. To not honor him would seem to be a crime.

Who Will Win: AH hah, this one is trickier that it looks. The Coen's have swept everything up until now, but the academy detests duos. They really hate it when Duos win. So many have said that perhaps my good pal Paul T. Anderson could win, or perhaps Julian Schnabel's auteur style work. However I just don't think anyone will beat the Coen's here. So my guess is the Coen's. To Tony Gilroy and Jason Reitman, thanks for coming.

Best Picture
Juno
There Will be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Micheal Clayton
Atonement

Who Should Win: There has been a gigantic black lash against the much loved Juno. While I think this is too harsh, it does not belong on the list of the best pictures of the year. Niether does the snobby and terribly unromantic Atonement. In fact, where I ask is the back lash against Atonement? It's not Crash bad or anything, but its just really not good either. I should have mentioned in cinematography that some people are calling it as the winner. WHY?! I suppose the war scenes which are shot not to show the horror of war but more as a glorius statement in praise of war. I am getting off topic. However I will say I choose There Will be Blood. If There Will be Blood wins I will walk around with a big silly grin on my face for a week. I love love love this movie.

Who Will Win: If there was every going to be a year for a tie this would be the year. Everything points to No Country for Old Men claiming Oscar's top prize. There is the possibility of the European vote ruining this. Meaning There Will be Blood and Juno could gain enough love from fellow Americans that Atonement (sad as that is to write) could very well claim the top prize. However I just dont think that is going to happen. Afterall, the film's director is not nominated. In other very serious categories Atonement seems somewhat absent. Also there is the thought that Juno could be more loved than originally thought and that the actors, the largest voting body of the Academy could choose it. Also there is the sense that There Will be Blood actually topped more critics lists than No Country for Old Men did. So really anything is possible. Except, sorry to Micheal Clayton fans, I don't see it as possibility that Micheal Clayton could be taking home any prize that big. In fact as my predictions right now are that it could be completely shut out. So watch Micheal Clayton sweep the whole damn thing. So final call. The winner will be No Country for Old Men.

I should say I am usually very good at guessing the smaller stuff and the actors, but I frequently get the these three wrong. I should also say that in a number of cases I hope I am wrong. My brain told me to say No Country For Old Men, but there is a feeling that something surprising may come from this instead.

No comments: