Tuesday, April 15, 2008

For The Bible Tells Me So... Part One


I apologize for the delay. My computer decided to show me its famous "blue screen of death." I wrote this last week. So when it says yesterday I mean last Wednesday.

Yesterday I witnessed something amazing. Something like Jesus, awaking Lazarus from his eternal sleep or feeding the multitudes with a bit of bread and a bit of fish. I saw a man stand up and proclaim from a place of deep faith and power that the film we just watched has changed his perspective. He then apologized to the entire GLBT community and confessed, almost in the way one might do at a religious ceremony, that he was guilty, like everyone I suppose, of being prejudice. His God, Christ in his case, was a God of love. And that, above all else, was the film's primary goal. To remind us that religion is not meant to promote intolerance and bigotry. The film, For the Bible Tell Me So examines , both positively and negatively, the way the families of a variety of people in the gay and lesbian community are affected by their children's "coming out" and how that fits into their religion.

Daniel Karslake, the film's director, stayed after the film to answer some question . This was both an insightful and moving experience. But, first let's examine the film.

The primary makeup of the film is a group of families affected by the the impact of discovering the one of their own is, in fact, a homosexual. The film shows some famous people like Senator Richard Gephart, his wife Jane and their openly lesbian daughter Chrissy. Also, in the section of the film I found most riveting, the story of the first openly gay bishop of the American Episcopalian church, Gene Robertson. Perhaps the most brave part of the film comes from Mary Lou Wallner, who blames herself for his daughters' tragic suicide. Daniel told us afterwards that she wrote a book called The Slow Miracle of Transformation. It is currently out of print, but I hope to find it soon and give it a read. The other families, the Poteats and the Reitans, are both truly interesting to get to know. In fact the most powerful scene in the film comes when the Reitan's take a stand on a particular issue. I won't give it away. See the film, available on DVD now, to uncover this part of the story.

One of the film's most compelling features was the addition of several theologians and scholars who both passionately and objectivity examined the true intentions behind the infamous bible verses that are said to condemn the practice of homosexuality. Nothing about their observations are entirely new ideas, but I imagine to the film's target audience this could be seen as somewhat of a revelation.

Another extremely intriguing aspect of the film was an animated section about what it is that makes people gay and the science behind it. The animated section works in two distinct ways. One, it allows the film to take a break away from the weighty subject material and two, it saves the viewers from what may have been a boring section of "talking head" scientist.

That's the film. But in part two we will get to the touching part. Including a story that Daniel told that made me almost cry.

Also, because we are in the middle of final papers season this blog may not be too active until school ends. However, if I don't get a chance to tell you here are few things you should know.

1) This Thursday for those of you in the Wilmington area there will be an avant-garde (experimental film night.) Afterwards there will be something called a "Live Cinema Explosion" Trust me, as someone working to bring this film festival to Wilmington, it should be a truly memorable night.

2) Also on Friday night is the Reel Teal Festival. A collection of student films will be shown and those in the audience get to vote to for their top picks. If you attend wear something a little nicer.

3) On Saturday, and this only for my UNCW readers, there will be a 24 hour move lock-in where a whole plethora of exciting and classic films will be playing. I went last year and had a blast. There is free food and time to relax before exam study sessions. If you attend wear the opposite of what you wore to the Reel Festival. Like sweat pants maybe?

I should mention that 1-3 are all taking place at Lumina Theatre on the UNCw campus. All of these events are free to the public.

4) If I don't have time to formally write a review I wanted to mention Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I was able to attend a preview screening of the film last week and let me tell you it is a truly funny film. Nothing too new, but funny enough to make up for that.

TO BE CONTINUED...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sad that I missed the preview of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." It looked hilarious. However, I will be attending the Hawk-In. I'm super excited about it. I miss it last year. I would really like to see "For The Bible Tells Me So." I think it is an interesting concept. I've heard stories about it's touchingness (made up a new word there) and would like to see for myself. Maybe my life needs to be changed as well.